NVM helps activate Physical Literacy needs in schools
Nikki Visaj Movement can help schools across Australia with physical literacy needs through dance, fitness and mindfulness incursions, video or virtual classes.
About Sporting Schools through SportAus
About Sporting Schools Plus
The research shows that what motivates many young people – including those who are disengaged in sport – to participate in sport is:
- Wanting to improve their skills and fitness for a healthier, more energetic life
- Wanting to spend time with friends while having fun.
These are some of the reasons why our dance, fitness and mindfulness (positive mental and physical health) approaches are so successful. Our work appeals to this cohort and taps into the desire to have fun.
What we do to engage kids in movement and physical activity
- Number 3: suggests that ‘existing sport scheduling could be enhanced with a “fitness-based” program, targeting disengaged secondary school students to build their confidence, and provide the knowledge and skills they are seeking to support their shift to a healthier lifestyle’
- Number 4: suggests a “stress relief” program for those students who can no longer commit to traditional sport activities’. NVM appeals to schools and kids of all ages because it is a non–traditional approach that heavily emphasises fun, joy, high–energy and creative expression
- Enhance the value that schools place on sport and physical activity – NVM promotes being active and having fun though dance, fitness, cultural and mindfulness classes offered as incursions or through video or virtual (live) sessions.
- Support the least active children and youth to get moving – NVM does this by catering for all students no matter their sporting prowess, confidence or interest in traditional or team sports. Our joyous approach is infectious for children, and our mindfulness and ‘calming down’ programs help manage anxiety, stress or other disrupting feelings. What we do is all about inclusivity and getting involved without competition.
- Connect Australian children and youth with community sport – NVM promotes physical health and the pleasure of movement and being active. This is at the heart of all physical literacy approaches and one that transcends organised sport.
- Develop physical literacy in Australian children and youth – NVM offers classes through incursions or virtual/video classes to everyone between the ages of 5 and 18 years old. We service schools anywhere in Australia through virtual or video classes, or by arrangement in other areas outside of Victoria.
- Improve capability of schools to deliver sport and physical activity opportunities – NVM makes it easier for schools to bring in specialist or non–traditional physical movement opportunities that also align with curriculum requirements through health and PE, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cross–curriculum priorities. Our incursions can be planned in advance for a term or semester, or booked for a single session. We are experienced in getting the best from children and young adults through positive messaging, role modelling, high–energy classes or calming down and relaxing classes that teach children to experience being in the moment through body awareness and mindfulness activities.